During the past 10 years Sean and I have made many pizzas from scratch! I can remember when we
were first married and we thought our pizzas were THE BEST!! We would always talk about
opening our own PIZZA JOINT and how everyone would just love our pizza!!
Oh the sweet innocence of young people!!
I think back then we were using a crust packet!!
A couple of years ago my Mother-in-law gave me a recipe for Pizza Crust that a neighbor had given her twenty-some years ago.
It's a really good tasting crust, but I always had a hard time rolling it out into the pan.
The recipe said to pretty much 'beat it up' and so there wasn't much elasticity to it.
Last year my Bestie gave me Pioneer Woman's Cookbook and lo and behold, she had a pizza crust recipe in there!
PW's takes awhile to rise and I usually wouldn't start it soon enough, so I took from my MIL's recipe and PW's and put it together the way it would work best for me!!
Let's get your next Pizza Night started!!
This recipe will make 1 pretty good sized crust!
and it doubles very easily
You will need:
Active Dry Yeast, All-Purpose flour, salt, oil, warm water
Pour 3/4 cup warm water into a bowl. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp or 1/2 packet yeast over the water.
Combine 2 cups flour and 1/2 tsp salt.
With your electric mixer on low speed, drizzle the 1 TBLSP oil until incorporated.
Gently stir the yeast/water mixture and then drizzle it into the flour/oil mixture;
mix until the dough forms a ball.
Drizzle a little oil into the bowl and toss to coat.
Cover bowl with a moist kitchen towel. Set in a warm place and let set for 20-30 minutes.
While dough is setting, preheat oven to 425*F and get your toppings ready!
i.e. slice onions, black olives, grate cheese, fry hamberger or sausage
Lightly drizzle oil onto your pizza pan and spread your dough out onto the pan.
I like to pre-bake my crust for 10 minutes or so before placing the sauce and toppings
Recipe for Pizza Crust
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp or 1/2 packet Active Dry Yeast
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup warm water
1 TBLSP Oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Pour 3/4 cup warm water into a small bowl. Sprinkle yeast over top of water.
- Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl.
- Turn electric mixer to low speed and drizzle oil into bowl. Mixing until incorporated.
- Gently stir the yeast and water mixture.
- Drizzle the yeast/water mixture over the flour/salt mixture and mix until dough forms a ball
- Drizzle oil into bowl and toss ball to coat.
- Cover with a moist kitchen towel and let set for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425*F and prepare toppings.
- Drizzle oil onto pizza pan and smooth the dough out to the desired shape.
- Prebake crust for 10 minutes or lightly browned.
- Place toppings onto pizza and bake until the cheese melts.