Wednesday, November 17, 2010

New Spin on an Old Favorite









Anytime I think of a Broccoli, Rice and Chicken Casserole Recipe, I think back to when I was first married and tried making it. The end result?.......Crunchy rice...... but it tasted good! I guess?!

That was 10 years ago!!! and I've only made it a handful of times. and you guessed it..... each time I thought I could make it better and each time the rice was still crunchy and it just didn't have the right taste to it!!

So, what do I do? I finally decide to try something a little different!!

Here is Everything I put in it!

Chicken Breasts, Chicken Broth, Cream of Chicken, Broccoli,
Rice, Sour Cream, Velveeta, Onion



The first thing I did was put the chicken in my orange pot and pour the chicken broth over it.
I chopped up some onion and threw that in the pot. I let the chicken boil until done.
When the chicken is done cooking take it out and place in a bowl and keep warm.
DO NOT pour your broth down the drain!


Instead, pour your rice in! and cook according to package directions!


'Look Ma! I have eyes and a nose on my hand!'
I forgot #4 had put that on there until I was editing my pictures and I figured, why not just leave it?
So, Miss Handy is cutting up chicken for me with my craft scissors that turned kitchen,
about 5 years ago!!


Your rice will be soft and taste sooo much better!!
and if it's watery? don't worry about it, you need that extra 'juice' anyway!

Here I added my frozen broccoli.


and stirred it up real good!

Dump in the two cans of Cream of Chicken.
And because I support Dairy Farmers Everywhere!
I added the sour cream, Velveeta and I know it wasn't in the picture, but I put
some milk in there too!!!

I added pepper and just a little salt, since Velveeta is pretty salty anyway.


Here I decided to add Cheesy French Fried Onions on top for the sole purpose that
I thought it would taste GOOD!!!
See? You can get creative with anything!!

Fresh Out of the oven!!


The batch I made was too big for a 9x13 pan so I put the rest in an 8x8!
I put a layer of plastic wrap over it and then foil.
It is now sitting in my freezer for a quick meal on a night I either forget to lay something out
or? That will probably be the reason!

This is how I did the recipe:

Easier Broccoli, Rice and Chicken Casserole

1 lb Chicken Breasts
32 oz Chicken Broth
2- 10 1/2 oz cans Cream of Chicken
16 oz bag of Frozen Broccoli
3 cups Rice
A chunk of Velveeta
Big Scoop of Sour Cream
1/2 of a medium onion
and a splash of milk to rinse your cans out!


  1. Place your chicken breasts and Chicken broth in your cooking pot.
  2. Chop up your onion, put it in with the chicken and bring to a boil.
  3. Once the chicken is done, remove from pot and place in a bowl and keep warm.
  4. Cook rice according to package directions in the chicken broth.
  5. While the rice is cooking, go ahead and cut your chicken into bite size pieces. or shred it.
  6. When the rice is done, throw in the broccoli, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, Velveeta and milk.
  7. Season with a little salt and pepper to taste and give it a good ol' stirrin'!
  8. Pour the mixture into a 9x13 pan.
  9. Cover with French Fried Onions
  10. Bake in 350* oven for 15 minutes or until the onions are golden!





No comments: