Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Tic-Tac-Ho Cookies

  What would Christmas be without a game of Tic-Tac-Toe?
Well, it would still be Christmas but who wouldn't enjoy a game of Tic-Tac-Toe or should I say
Tic-Tac-HO?

I found this cookie idea over at CountryLiving's website.
I just couldn't pass up something so cute to take to my daughter's Christmas Party
at school, even if they were a bit of a pain challenge to make!


 




Cream butter and sugar




Beat in the eggs




Beat in the vanilla and almond extracts



(I'm sorry there isn't a picture here, apparently I got so excited I forgot to take a picture!!)
Mix flour and baking powder together.
Stir into the batter.
Mix together.
I found it easier for me to mix by dumping it onto the counter and kneading the cookie dough together.

After it comes together, split it into two halves.

and get ready to dye!!
(It's a good thing I didn't follow my dream to become a hairdresser, because
I would have wore that joke out!)

Now that I'm looking at this picture again, it looks kinda bad. Maybe that should have
been a 'bloody Halloween' post!


Smear icing paste onto dough and place
in a plastic bag



Knead it until the dough turns red

this is how I rolled up the dough to make sure
it mixed up really red



cover your dough and place in the fridge for 30 minutes




cut 4-1 inch squares for each cookie



The 'O's baking



Cut out 5 -1 inch red squares and
H's


The 'H's baking




Tic-Tac boards are almost done baking!



"Ho Ho Ho's" in the cupcake wrappers




All bagged up and ready for a Party!


And because I want to keep it real and show you all how things go from Great to not-so great in my kitchen, I give you my 'burnt boards'!!

I was trying to make dinner and bake cookies before we had to
 race off leave for gymnastics and this is what happened.

I only had time to bake 18 cookies and I planned on finishing 
the other 5 as soon as we got back from gymnastics.
When gymnastics was almost over, I had the flitting thought
that I hadn't turned off the oven before I left.
I wasn't worried though, because Sean was home and I figured
he'd notice and shut it off.

As soon as I walked through the door, Sean told me to wait.
I wasn't 'allowed' to go into the kitchen until he spoke to me.
I asked him what was going on? He said, 'Don't get mad!'
I said okay, what's going on?
He said, 'We lost 7 soldiers!'
and I'm thinking, what in the world is he talking about??
Then it dawned on me..... I not only forgot to turn the oven
off when I left, I FORGOT TO TAKE THE COOKIES
OUT OF THE OVEN!!!

I had to laugh at myself and I wasn't too upset because
I knew I had to make more anyway!
See? It all works out!!

Here is the Sugar cookie recipe:
(I swiped it from Tina at Mommy's Kitchen, it was on a calendar
on her fridge.)


1 cup sugar
2/3 cup butter
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. red food coloring

  1. Cream Sugar and Butter
  2. Beat in eggs and extracts and set aside
  3. Mix flour and baking powder and stir into batter
  4. Divide in half and tint 1 half red
  5. Cover and place in fridge for 30 minutes.
  6. Roll out dough 
  7. Cut approx. 120 white squares and 90 'O's
  8. Cut approx. 150 red squares and 90 'H's
  9. Piece alternating squares together in a 3x3 grid
  10. Bake cookies @ 350 for approx. 8 minutes. Take out before they are done, because they will continue to bake a bit out of the oven.
  11. Bake letters @ 350 for approx. 5 minutes. Keep a close eye on the letters. It doesn't take long for them to start to burn!!
  12. After cookies have cooled, place 3 H's and 3 O's in each 'cupcake cup'
  13. Either serve up on a tray or place in 'Goody Bags'


Be on the lookout for a post Monday Afternoon!
Sean's Birthday is tomorrow and he has requested a 'splurge' meal!!
I cannot wait to show this one off!!






2 comments:

Amanda Butts said...

These Tic-Tac-Ho games were just about the cutest thing I'd ever seen! Who knew you could do that with a cookie? I hope y'all have a wonderful and blessed Christmas!

Roxann said...

I thought I posted a comment earlier...but where did it go? Technology and I sometimes don't get along!

HI! I followed a link to your site from Mommy's Kitchen, and really liked what I saw. I love to make aeverything I can from scratch as well. The Tic-Tac-HO cookies are adorable! I only wish my daughter's school would let us bring in homemade goodies. Can't wait to see about this dinner you're making!--Roxann